If you are thinking of setting up a website for your business, then you must be searching for how to buy domain and hosting as well. Although it may seem like a tedious task, it can be done effortlessly in literally no time.
Here are all the steps that you should follow:
- Pick a domain name that you want
- Check if that domain name is available
- Pick a domain registrar (one who offers web hosting services)
- Decide on the website hosting charges and plans that best suit your needs
- Buy the domain and go live!
If you are new to the domain and hosting world, then let’s start with the basics.
What is a Domain Name?
The simplest way to understand a domain name is that it is the address that you type into a website browser address bar to reach a particular website. For instance, www.google.com is the domain name for Google. Each domain name is unique for every website and it can never be shared between different websites.
Where can you buy a Domain Name?
There are several domain registrars that offer web hosting services at different rates. You can search for the one that best suits your needs and decide on the charges. The domain registrars usually ask for an annual fee so that the domain name remains registered under your name.
Remember, if you do not renew in time, you will lose the domain name and it will be available for others to purchase in the open market.
What are the Charges for Registering a Domain Name?
As mentioned earlier, you can buy domain and hosting services from domain registrars at different rates. A domain name of your company will be lower cost than one that has industry-specific keywords. If you need a domain name that is in high demand, it can cost you thousands of rupees. It is mostly because that domain name is up for resale or the registrar knows that it is in high demand and people will pay much more than the usual to own it. However, the renewal fee should be the usual after the initial purchase.
A Few Other Basics About Domain Names
There is no need to fully understand the inner workings of the internet and website architecture to set up your website. However, it is good to understand some key industry terms and know how your domain name works.
Here are some other basics that you should be aware of:
- Each domain name has a dot in the address. The unique name to the left of the dot is known as a second-level domain (SLD). The domain extension to the right of the dot is known as a top-level domain (TLD), such as com, .net, and .org.
- The combination of SLD+TLD is known as Uniform Resource Locator (URL).
- Domain name renewal should be done every year or you can check with your registrar and pre-pay the registration fee for up to ten years in advance.
Your business gets identified online by your domain name. So, you should pick a domain name that is catchy, memorable, and says exactly what you want about your products and services.